I will come back..


Introduction
Unlike my previous accounts, this is not a narration of scenic beauties of Himalaya despite there was plethora of exquisiteness in Gangotri National Park, Nandanban meadows and shear elegance of giant mountains. You may hardly find any mention of glacier walks, fixed ropes, summit and happy endings, although few of us had wonderful feelings in experiencing them all. There is no talk about the floral outburst on well-marked trails that snake along the Bhagirathi River. The experiences and feelings I had in me during those days, were perhaps entirely different from that of others despite we shared the same physical reality. This is rather than a thrilling, adrenaline gushing adventure story; a brief recollection of the things that happened up there and what I felt about how some of those could have been done differently to make the expedition an even better journey. My faults, however minor they seemed then, have defeated my purpose of coming here. There were a few other factors which conspired against my goal and at times (momentarily though) even forced me to question whether the path I have chosen was right or not. Or as a matter of fact, they made me think if it was really my cup of tea. Or was it out of sheer madness that I was pushing myself toward extremities which were beyond my reach? Eventually I returned home sick, shrunk and disappointed but luckily during the return journey, my unrelenting think tank finally calmed with a conclusion that the path chosen wasn’t really a wrong turn. It was just a little bit of an off roading… Highway was sure to dawn. I had never experienced such physical and emotional imbalance in the mountains before. So this narration is different. Even I`m new to writing something like this.

29 Sept 2015, Flight: Pune-Delhi, 9:00PM
Almost a year down now.. Last time I had been to the Himalayas was in the last week of Sept 2014 for an outdoor first aid course which was then followed by the deathly days of October. Dengue fever, subsequently resulted into pulmonary oedema. It was a close shave. By God’s grace, blessings of well-wishers, blitzkrieg medical treatments and a mountainous family support, I was normal within three months.

Today I fly again back to Himalayas with far more efficient training, matured outlook, more knowledge and even more spirit of climbing.

 Training

Suffer and grow tougher
Fuck excuses and Fight fear
Train hard and climb higher

For the entire season, this had become my mantra. I had reached close to the point of no return. Which meant I had to begin brick by brick from level zero. So I started training methodically with my friends and increased volume progressively in terms of time, speed and intensity. I became extremely conscious and started paying attention to every miniature changes in and around me. I tried (could not continue too long) maintaining the daily logs of every workout performed, pre & post workout heart rates, weekly weight, sleep, food intake and overall daily remarks. I studied science about the training regime, body postures and consistently tried to change the old mediocre methods. I experimented. With my training, diet, routine and even clothing. I suffered. I`d train twice in a day; sprint up the stairs until it`d leave me gasping. Every alternate week my friends would find me with a tilted sprained neck. I’d bathe with cold water. After the rainy treks, I would let my cloths dry by body heat so as to get used to cold. It really wasn’t what I was used to. But I endured. And I wanted it more. In fact it was only the training which could give me respite from my broken relationship stresses and I would experience a soothing meditative times.  Science became my soulmate. Every injury I faced, every doubt that stuck my mind, I sought for scientific help. Experiments, many a times failed but they kept me at bay from the boredom of same old routine and stirred the learner within me thriving.    
The beginning

I was to go for an IMF expedition (Bhagirathi III (6454 m)) to be led by Debabrata Mukherjee, whom I knew from Climbathon. He was on his 46th expedition. At IMF Delhi, I observed him as a workaholic and equally funny person who, disregarding his climbing eminence, would work with rookie climbers like us in almost every matters such as packing equipment, inspecting tents, buying basic rations etc. It was pretty exciting stay at IMF where I met Meenaz, Lalit, Gunbala, Priyanka and Manita; our IMF gang.     

A joint expedition of IMF and Pathajatra mountaineering club kicked off on 3rd Sept 2015 from Uttarkashi. Club members were relatively older than our IMF gang but were very friendly and talkative.

We had spent a couple of days arranging the gears and ration in Uttarkashi. Now our next destination was Gangotri. During the travel to Gangotri, every village I came across showed prominent signs of damaged houses, destructed river banks and landslides. At a village called Dharali, after speaking to a few village men I felt as if now Uttarakhand is more about the destruction stories than the holy ones.

Trailhead was Gangotri. A pleasant and a charming place. We prayed to Ganga mata for safe and successful return and next day marched to Bhojbasa. 14 km of benign walk along the Bhagirathi River was more like walk in a park (Indeed it was a national park). 




1. Gangotri Temple. The river roars vociferously along the left side of the temple enhancing the chanting temper of the worshipers. 2. IMF Gang strolling in Gangotri town. It was probably 50th Selfie of the evening! 

Bhojbasa Camp (3800 m)

The campsite was located along the banks of Bhagirathi River. After devouring a simple pahadi style dinner of roti, dal and rice, we called it a day. Inside the camp however, I was having trouble. Smoking. Whole night I could not sleep. A non-smoker with a history of recent lung disorder was bound to suffer when few of the members were smoking in that closed room. I was in fact suffocated. I came out couple of times just to breath fresh air. I was a bit hesitant to tell others about it and unaware that my shyness could possibly jeopardize my next couple of weeks. I could not sleep in that room at all and the next day turned into a total mess. I forgot to fill up my hydration pack. Barely half a litre water for a six hour trek through moraine. Subitda had offered me some water along the trails but I couldn’t simply gulp down half a litre of his water. Everybody needed it as it was scarce at that time. After a couple of hours trek, dehydration started showing its ugly face. Headaches shrieked like jackhammers. I had left Mintuda far behind who would always remind me to walk slowly. I thought, maybe I was walking fast and gaining altitudes faster as well. Soon I was so innervated that I took short naps a couple of times. This situation was first-time and surely wasn’t good. At Raktaban glacier I got some water to refill. But the headache was unstoppable. Finally I consumed a whole sachet of Electral solution and slept for a while at Nandanban camp. I`m not entirely sure what troubled me so much to this extent. I had been in even remote and strenuous situations before and had dealt with them pretty well. Maybe the sleepless night, maybe dehydration, maybe speedy trek or maybe all.. I don’t know.

Meenaz next day reminded me for extra water and later I even requested Mintuda for not allowing smoking inside the tents to which he readily agreed. (Mintuda was deputy leader and I was very comfortable in raising the issue to him) But in my views, a mountaineer can’t be a nature ignorant and more importantly can’t afford to be a health ignorant either. Habits like smoking, you may have back in your homes but when you are stepping in a pristine place like this, shouldn’t they be kept aside for a few days? Or at least done in private places? And secondly about the self-preparedness, I felt bad when I realized that I wasn’t carrying enough water. What would have I done, had it been really a dangerous terrain or had I been walking alone or the worst case when someone walking with me gets in an emergency situation and I`m the only person to aid?  

Next day’s trek to upper Nandanban was fairly easy. I was okay but Lalit started having headache. A warhorse was down today.* Sitting by his side, sipping a tea at another Bengali group’s base camp, we stared at Vasuki Parbat, right in front of us. It was really daunting. It`d seem like some monster hiding behind the ridge and continually eyeing at us. 

                                 Lalit and I at Bhojbasa camp. (The duo later became famous as potty buddies)  
                     
I admired Gunbala and Manita for their amazing mountain fitness. They were always among the first to reach every camp. And no signs of tiredness. They always welcomed me with smiles and hot tea. Gun had a little explosive hot tempered attitude to every stupid thing that would happen around. But I always felt her anger very amusing. Meenaz, at the age of 44 would walk steadily and was always cheerful and caring and in search of taking incredibly crazy pictures.

(* He would walk really fast and may be his eating was not up to the mark. His eating dramatically improved when at basecamp he found his army friends. Since then he would daily dine delicious menu in the army tents and make us feel jealous; especially Meenaz.)




                                                                                     Entire team at Base Camp. 

Base camp was set up in the boulders surrounded by Vasuki, Bhagirathi II and a small ridge behind which laid Chaturangi glacier. A gentle stream flowing along was our lifeline for next couple of weeks. To our surprise, immediately after reaching the base camp, next day was scheduled for a load ferry to camp I. Honestly I didn’t like the idea of moving so fast. We had already trekked for three consecutive days and reached the base camp at 4800 m. Since many of us were sick, one or two days stay at base camp would have recharged us for subsequent climbs. We needed to acclimate.

As the expedition advanced, I felt some communication gap between the leader and the teammates. In my opinion, before the start of the expedition, every tiniest factor should be discussed among entire team. Each person should know his/her responsibilities from day one to last day.* Daily debrief sessions to review treks, individual health, food, weather forecast, potential hazards of the terrain, next day plans.. They are vital and extremely helpful for assessing the given situation and managing the future plans accordingly.

A day before leaving for camp I, we had a medical check-up and in that doctor found my resting heart rate as high as 120! I was shocked. I asked doctor if I could check it myself. No change. I sensed something was not right. My heart was beating, in fact hammering too rapidly in order to fulfil my body’s Oxygen demands.

(*Our equipment management was fairly good. Together we sat and discussed the entire climbing gear with Debuda and at the end of the expedition the count matched perfectly except for a few hardware that the summit team had to leave on the mountain from safety point of view. But same should have been implemented for food, mountain days and particularly daily debriefing. These factors were equally important and should have been discussed and planned with everybody.)  

I immediately asked for Pulse oximeter. Unfortunately it didn’t work. “Did you make a mistake by coming to mountains too early?” a thought struck my mind. But I ignored it. I had definitely not reached that critical point. However, I made up my mind for any worst turnaround orders.

As a sportsman and that too an extreme outdoor sportsman, one should always keep a watch on his/her cardiac functioning. Now a days Pulse Oximeter, Heart rate monitor are pretty portable and works well at even high altitudes. Together they give a fairly accurate idea of one’s respiratory functioning. Be it a CV training, Himalayan expedition or a leisure travel in Ladakh; these devices may prove handy.

Camp I (5300 m)

No signs of snow or ice even at camp one. In the month of June, Gunbala had come for all women’s expedition to Bhagirathi III. Gun recalled that just a couple of months ago even the basecamp was in snow.

The distance in mountains is always illusive. From the basecamp I could see only two humps to camp I. But in reality we crossed 4-5 humps one after the other. It wasn’t tiring nor was the weather bad but the deceptive nature of the terrain was terribly annoying. Camp I was situated under the shadows of Vasuki and Bhagirathi II. So the sunlight became scarcity. Barely six hours. Shadows were frighteningly cold but then what do you expect up there otherwise? Sauna bath?

Finally after camp I load ferry, we rested at basecamp for a day.
In the middle of that night Lalit persuaded me to accompany him for toilet. I was irritated that why someone needs a company for toilet. I denied. He requested me again and again but I ignored. Finally
Ranaji woke up having annoyed by our verbal fights and offered Lalit a company. I thought I did right. What was there to be so scared?  But a few days later, came my turn and I went all alone. For a few moments it was okay, but as time passed, the silence became awfully terrifying. On top of that I had not informed anybody before leaving the tent. Further, next day I was told by the army team about findings of snow leopard pugmarks. I felt really bad; not so much for my stupidity in solo adventure but for not accompanying Lalit. No matter what the business is, buddy system is an integral part of wilderness lifestyle.

(Re) turning point

3 members from the club backed off from the expedition due to probably health issues or official work. Camp one felt like a real expedition. Unlike the basecamp where 9-10 men would sleep together in a big tent, we had a smaller team, smaller tents, and lesser loads. I loved it. Ever since the NOLS, I`m obsessed with the idea of smaller teams travelling with self-sufficiency. That’s the way I wish to climb in future. Porters, cooks, medical support till the basecamp are essential only if you are preparing for a big mountain expedition. But above basecamp the team should be self-sufficient.

We moved to camp II for a load ferry. My initial enthusiasm of approaching snowline, gradually reduced as I saw others walking past me. I walked slow.. perhaps really slow. To my chagrin, I had to cache the load a few meters below the camp II and return. I was unhappy. Rajesh, one of our HAPs, explicitly highlighted my slowness and assumed that I am hit by mountain sickness. Soon came the orders. Only Gun, Manita, Lalit and Shubit would continue to summit camp while others would descend.

Without saying much to anybody I went inside my tent and laid on my sleeping bag. For next two hours, I probably slept like a dead corpse. I wasn’t tired, nor was it dark. I missed my lunch too. When I woke up, I heard Meenaz trying to calm Priyanka who had rebelled for being denied a summit berth. By the time when I reached the basecamp, she had already left for Gangotri. 

I came down thinking that maybe it was an opportunity to regain health at lower altitude and if the stars were to be with me, maybe Debuda would even consider a team B for summit. But Meenaz very gently shattered my extreme optimism and overambitious imaginations and brought me back to the reality of gloomy basecamp routine which I had to live for next 4-5 days.

I wanted to go back as soon as I could. I was extremely disappointed. I had trained diligently; taken enough care of my personal health. Still I failed. I wanted to figure out everything that went wrong. At the base camp, my overall behaviour was pretty strange although not antisocial. I`d talk less, eat less and spend most of my time in my sleeping bag. Partho would keep saying, “Vivek.. mere bhai, uth ja..dekh subah ho gaya..” (Wake up Vivek, its sun up now) Not that I`d sleep always but keep thinking about what went wrong; how I should reorganize myself from now on and move forward. My nascent photography hobby was unenthused as well. Even though others were enjoying the relax lifestyle of basecamp, I couldn’t. Mintuda asked me if I was uncomfortable in their company but it wasn’t like that at all. He and Partho were really nice persons and I never had any issues with any of them. But ever since I left my job, I have become restless. I don’t like sitting idle. And here 4-5 days of idleness had become a nightmare for me. But in all this, I ensured that I do not cause trouble to anybody nor do I complain about my unhappiness. I had heavyheartedly accepted the leader’s call and tried cooperating everyone as much as I could.

Back in IIT days I learnt an important quality of team spirit. Both as a captain and as a general team member of IITB’s Cricket team, I had understood that the leader’s call in tough times is ultimate. It doesn’t matter if it is right or wrong. Its leader’s call and the team should obey it. Analysis, feedbacks are for the later stages.  Denial to leader’s decision only brings disharmony and the team gets fragmented. And as for the leader, he/she too, when takes a call whose consequences could be profoundly significant, it must be taken in a righteous spirit and conveyed gently to the concerned people. It should be for the sake of team as a whole, not for any individual gains. And if it’s a matter of member exclusion, it certainly needs a personal touch. Some may argue that stepping down and explaining the whys might be a sign of a weak leader. I disagree. It in fact shows that how caring your leader is and how much efforts even in the tough times he/she takes for the teammates.  

On 15th Sept 2015, at 11:30 AM, good news rang on our Walkie talkie. Gun, Manita, Shubit and Debuda had summited the mountain. The base camp was in a jubilant mood. Partho, was literally dancing on a giant boulder. We were eagerly waiting to hear from them for past two days. Finally the mountain celebrities returned to base camp next day. Doctor Madam collected beautiful flowers from around the basecamp and presented them to all our heros. Shubit and Manita looked tired but Debuda, smiling and satisfied to have led and summited a virgin route. But Gun left me wondering if ever she feels exhausted or not. As usual she was. Cheerful and untiring.

Suddenly that night everything changed. I felt the camp lively. I ate ravenously and our IMF gang (Lalit, Meenaz, Manita, Gun and I) sat inside the smaller tent and gossiped a lot. Maybe the return of summiters made me feel like I was a part of them or maybe the idea of wrapping up next day was very exciting. 


                                            Mt. Shivling (6543 m). Photo taken from Upper Nandanban trails.

During the return trek, I walked quite faster.. Even in the moraines. With Mintuda, I took a lot of photographs of Vasuki, Shivling, Meru, Bhagirathi II and III; none of whom during our base camp stay could impress me. But that day everything was fascinating. I was particularly enthralled by Shivling. Rocky, almost vertical faces and a snow capped summit lingered in my mind until she finally disappeared as I walked past Gaumukh. Next day I moved even faster from Chidbasa onward to Gangotri disregarding the pains in tiring muscles. The same trail looked more beautiful that day. Unlike earlier trek, weather was clear and pleasant. Bhagirathi II & III were clearly visible every time I turned around just to take better pictures of two sisters. May be it was all intended so as to restore my faith in my chosen path.    

I flew back to Pune on 22nd Sept 2015.
This expedition was a deep revelation. Debuda appreciated me for my cooperative and earnest attitude. He urged me to discuss clinical histories with leaders and doctors before every expedition, (I did not think it was important as I had presumed that I was totally fine.) advised on future training and asked to take good care of my health. I wished we could have had more interaction not just at the end of the expedition but throughout. It feels nice when a leader asks team members for their howabouts and offers personal help or guidance if needed.

Failures are part of life and they should not only be accepted but introspected and resolved. I now know that I`m not as strong as I thought I had become nor as much as I was during the last year. I consulted a physician and realized that it was too early to go to high altitude after the illness. I now know the effects of high altitude on me post illness. I learnt about how much more training I have to incorporate. I recognized the difference between fitness in Sahyadris and in Himalayas. They are overwhelmingly different. Some of other experiments taught me about better clothing system that works well on me, nutrition planning and portable medical assistance at high altitude etc. So in a nutshell, I see that going there wasn’t really a mistake but an opportunity to know where I stand now and I`m happy to have it realized in time.

But most importantly I realized that sometimes, some goals are too hard to achieve; they test you to the extremes in wildest possible ways. They make you suffer badly. Physically as well as emotionally. In those situations you need strength to overcome the sufferings. At times, the strength to gladly sacrifice those goals, accept defeat and turn back. Why?? So that you can comeback; grow stronger, equip better, endure what you couldn’t earlier and finally finish the unfinished matters!   
                                                                    

Comments

More!! :)

Royal Flush!! Mt. CB 13 Expedition

Climbathon 2014 – Bara Shigri Glacier part 3

Home ground Tail baila