Chronicles of Kangchenjunga 2: Core Driving force

 Core Driving force

 

When I returned from the expedition, many of our well-wishers, friends, and especially the media personnel asked me what seemed like a formidable task to them: ‘Why did an engineering grad switch completely into mountaineering and didn’t his parents resist him?’

The answer to the first part is quite complicated but the later part I can definitely answer with ‘Never.’ I grew up in a family where, progress-unrestricted and the passion chase-uncompromised, were highly encouraged. My grandfather late Dr. Sadashiv Shivade retired as a veterinary doctor but immediately after the retirement, embarked on his second inning of 23 years. During which, he authored 24 research books on Maratha history & literature; many of which are immensely recognized by scholars & academies in Pune. My father is no different. Like grandpa’s passion towards research in history, my father is an excellent general surgeon and passionate to serve the poor ones. Even today at the age of 59 today, he works for 15-16 hours a day and yet never gets tired of surgeries. He works for his patients like a devotee worships his deity. He taught me since childhood that in the end what prevails is your attitude towards your work and how only hard work and unending dedication, leads to achieving excellence.

As I began preparing for the expedition, old memories of their guidance, their wisdom, their discipline, began to resurface in my mind, and became my source of inspiration. I discussed with my seniors and in a week, prepared my training plan. Daily workout session started soon. Three days a week I went to the gym for strength training, & three days I performed various cardio exercises. The workout used to leave me exhausted but the thoughts of KJ ascent always kept me going.

My family were extremely happy for my selection. They trusted my capabilities and stood by me. Aai used to stay with me for 4 days a week to ensure that I get fresh and healthy meals daily. Papa used to visit us on weekends while rest of the days, he managed the workload in hospital. Aai, Papa, Kaka, Kaku, Tejasi, Attya, Madankaka, Akshaydada participated in various Sahyadri trekking programmes which Giripremi planned to support the expedition. Both my maternal as well as paternal families shared the burden of fund raising. Aai’s enthusiasm was so high that she participated in every trek, did daily fitness, trekked Sinhagad quite often, and finally along with her college friends, successfully completed Annapurna Base Camp Trek. Two days before our team reached the summit of Kj, she and all her friends prayed and sent their blessings to us from Annapurna Base. It was an incredible achievement for her. She was not a physically strong woman per say. But she took hard efforts to be able to hike till Annapurna Base Camp and support Giripremi’s expedition. Could there be any better support than participating in what I believe in doing?  

While Aai played an active role in supporting me for the expedition, Papa stood behind us like a watchful guardian. He looked after my health status and ensured that I remained illness free throughout the training session. He was to be a proud father and a husband. When Mama called him at 5:45 AM in the morning on 15th May 2019, to share my summit news, his happiness had no limits. His eyes were moist filled with tears of delight and content. Aai-papa’s faith in me, and the blessings from everyone in my family had come to fruition. Such was the driving force at the core that propelled me unhindered.  

Comments

More!! :)

Royal Flush!! Mt. CB 13 Expedition

Climbathon 2014 – Bara Shigri Glacier part 3

I will come back..

Home ground Tail baila